Resolution 8: Sleep 8 or More Hours a Night
Those who know me well, know I am a fan of sleeping: I have often been heard saying, "If sleeping was an Olympic event, you would find me on the podium." Once I am cuddling with my blankets and tucked tightly beneath my down comforter, the room light could suddenly be flipped on or a plethora of squad cars could loudly zip up my block, yet I would remain sound asleep. It is for this reason that some may find it interesting that my goal for this week is to insure that I get enough sleep. However, simply because I am good at sleeping doesn't mean I get enough of it.
 |
The number of hours of sleep on
weeknights, according to the NYT Magazine,
that American adults get on average. |
I am not alone in this: many Americans get too little sleep on average. According to a New York Times Magazine story written in 2011, 72% of Americans get under eight hours, or exactly 8 hours, of sleep a night (the average quantity of hours equating to 6.9). This same article indicates that most adults need at least eight hours of sleep a night in order to maintain full concentration abilities on a day to day basis: I guess that means most of us here in America sit at work, talk to our bosses, and run our lives with a less than ideal concentration level. Scary. Anyway, I digress. Additionally, according to a Harvard report released in 2006, getting enough sleep is important for the following six reasons:
- Learning and memory: Sleep helps the brain commit new information to memory through a process called memory consolidation. In studies, people who’d slept after learning a task did better on tests later.
- Metabolism and weight: Chronic sleep deprivation may cause weight gain by affecting the way our bodies process and store carbohydrates, and by altering levels of hormones that affect our appetite.
- Safety: Sleep debt contributes to a greater tendency to fall asleep during the daytime. These lapses may cause falls and mistakes such as medical errors, air traffic mishaps, and road accidents.
- Mood: Sleep loss may result in irritability, impatience, inability to concentrate, and moodiness. Too little sleep can also leave you too tired to do the things you like to do.
- Cardiovascular health: Serious sleep disorders have been linked to hypertension, increased stress hormone levels, and irregular heartbeat.
- Disease: Sleep deprivation alters immune function, including the activity of the body’s killer cells. Keeping up with sleep may also help fight cancer.
All signs point to a need for sleep, yet sometimes I just can not get enough with my life as busy as it is. On the weekends, typically, I easily sleep nine or more hours each night; however, on school nights, I average around 7.25 hours each evening. It is for this reason, with an extremely busy week ahead of me, this eight-hours-of-sleep resolution is an appropriate one.
 |
| A typical "My Plate" report for me this week |
As for last week's resolution: I was extremely successful. For seven days in a row, I was able to make my daily My Plate report light up the vegetable wedge! In fact, for three days this past week I was able to light up all five sections. This is somewhat surprising, since in the past I have always struggled eating a balanced diet, but this week I did it (and it was not even all that hard--it just took a little planning when my husband and I planned our lunches for the week). Albeit, I feel no difference in my body having eaten a more balanced diet this past week, but I can not expect results instantly. That said, I did find it was easier to come in under my designated calories each day, and that is a start in the right in the direction.
Now, I am off to bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment