3.11.2012

Resolution 11: No Caffeine & No Snacks Two Hours Before Bed

No Caffeine and No Snacks Two Hours Before Bed

In the past few weeks there have been a few nights during which I struggled a bit with falling asleep quickly. The time for bed would arrive and I would go through my nightly routine of putting on my pajamas, washing my face, and tucking myself in beneath the covers, but then would proceed to simply attempt to count sheep (actually, I count shoes, but I digress) while listening to my husband snore as he soundly slept. In the past, this had not been an issue: always I fell asleep before Scott. This new trend of sleeplessness is why this week I am working on improving my ability to fall asleep quickly and sleep solidly through the night. 


First of all, I am going to avoid caffeine at least the last two hours before I send myself to bed. According to the Mayo Clinic, "the stimulating effects of...caffeine--which takes hours to wear off--can wreak havoc with quality sleep." When I was younger, this never seemed to impact my sleep patterns, but now that I am in my mid-thirties, it seems to keep me from crashing as soon as my head hits my jersey-covered pillow. Additionally, I am not going to eat the last two hours before I head to bed. Today Health, in the online article "Eat Your Way to a Good Night's Sleep," recommends eating a dinner that contains 600 calories or fewer, and not consuming large snacks 2-3 hours prior to bed because one's digestion slows down and makes an individual feel uncomfortable and often prohibits a sound sleep. Hopefully these two small tasks (or lack there of) will help me rest better each evening. 




As for not drinking my calories last week: it went well. In fact, in seven days I took in fewer than 200 liquid calories. I plan to continue this resolution in the weeks to come.





1 comment:

  1. Not eating before bed is a strategy that I've tried so many times and just cannot uphold no matter what. If you find something that I should try next to curb before-bed-munchies, I'd love to hear it!

    ReplyDelete