4.08.2012

Resolution 15: Be Smart When Eating Out

Be Smart When Eating Out

I fear that this weak will be filled with more challenges than usual when it comes to making healthy choices. Tomorrow, I will be working until at least 4:30/5:00 PM, but with a need to return to school by 6:45 PM: this will make it tempting for me to pick up something quick to eat. Needing something quick to eat, often means a drive-through. A drive-through often mean a sure-I'd-like-fries-with-that moment. See, that will be challenge one. Then, Tuesday I will be curriculum writing, which means heading out to eat with some of my English teacher friends: challenge two. On Wednesday, since it is the first working Wednesday of the month (since last week was Spring Break), I will have a Faculty Representative's Meeting: these are commonly followed with a few of us FRs heading to Newt's for supper. This will prove to be challenge three. Then, on Thursday, we head to the Section Speech Tournament in Northfield. Traditionally, we stop at McDonald's on the way: challenge four. On Fridays, after a long, hard week at work, a group of us teachers head to Whistle Binkie's to celebrate our survival: challenge five. 


It is these expected challenges that lead me to this week's goal. This week, I master the art of eating healthy when eating away from home. These techniques, all taken from the USDA's Choose My Plate site, are the ones I will attempt to closely follow:

  • Order drinks that contain zero-few calories: water, diet soda, tea, etc.
  • Opt for whole-wheat bread, when available.
  • Start with a salad/vegetable: fill up in the healthy so there is less room for the not-so-healthy. Plus, order the dressing on the side.
  • Order items that are steamed, grilled, or broiled. Avoid fried food.
  • When available, order a smaller size/portion.
  • If at a place with larger portions, I will: (a) share my entree, (b) set aside half before I even take a bite and place it in a to-go box, or (c) simply stop eating when I am full and not worry about the wasted food.
I believe that by following these six guidelines, I will be better able to control my choices while eating out this weak.





As for last week's goal of taking the plunge: success! While Scott and I were in Madison, enjoying our spring break with no teaching duties, I woke each morning at 7:00 (when the pool opened) and headed downstairs for a swim. Each day, I swam for 30 minutes without stopping. And the results showed on the scale. Despite days of Wisconsin food (fried cheese, red meat, beer...) I actually lost over a pound. Yeah for swimming!



No comments:

Post a Comment