Make Plans to Keep Motivated
It is no secret that I detest working out. There is the sweating, the extra showering, the sucking up of otherwise free time, the overheating, and the list goes on. It is for all these reasons that it is extra important that I stay motivated. So, since I have a little extra flexibility in my summer months due to my teaching schedule, I am taking this week to do some research in regards to what fitness activity I want to take on this summer in order to add a bit of variety into my life, physical fitness wise.
According to the Mayo Clinic, one of the major barriers to fitness is that it is perceived to be boring. ***Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!*** The article goes on to explain that it is important to choose an activity that is enjoyable, to keep the routine varied, and to explore new options. Thus, my research begins. SparkPeople's online article "8 Things to Consider When Choosing a Gym" has some good ideas, including taking into consideration the location, hours, staff, cleanliness, classes, as well as cost. Although I am not looking for a gym per say, I find the criteria fitting. Additionally, since Scott and I share a busy summer schedule, I need to have flexibility; therefore, I would like a series of classes/activities that I could attend on an individual basis, maybe with a punch card or by appointment. I want to avoid paying for a select set of weeks/months, only to find I am unavailable during half of the scheduled sessions, and thereby out half of my money. It is also important to me that the class/activity I select is basic enough for a beginner like me to not feel as if I am in over my head.
I will be exploring potential fitness opportunities, which exist in Rochester, related to the following types of activities (since these are the types of things I find fun):
- Dancing
- Golf
- Yoga
- Kick-boxing
- Swimming
I believe it may be difficult to reach all of my criteria, but I shall find out. If you are familiar with the Rochester, Minnesota area and its fitness opportunities, I would love suggestions! (Just leave them in the comment section.)

No comments:
Post a Comment