1.21.2012

Resolution 3: Get Active, Part 2

It is the final day of my getting active resolution, and this is the first of the resolutions where I did not achieve my goal to its fullest. I was successful in that I was active three out of seven days, as well as in the sense that if I were to average out my minutes of being active by seven, I average 34 minutes of being active each day despite the fact that in four of the past seven days I made no attempt to break a sweat. 


In an ideal world, I would have found some time to workout. I mean, actually workout. Take a walk, go for a jog, put in Wii Dance 2 and shake it for a while... Yet, with my busy life, I simply can't seem to find the time to workout. It is for this reason that all of my moments of activity this week came from non-working out types of activities. For instance, on Sunday I cleaned--that was my "workout." It was legit; I did break quite a sweat as I took down the Christmas tree, carried boxes filled with decorations into the storage space downstairs, Swiffered every Swifferable surface, made three beds, and completed a few loads of laundry. But, it wasn't a workout. Nor was my activity today--shoveling snow for 55 minutes. Sure, I burned enough calories that I had to peal away layers as I pushed the snow off the driveway, but it was not a "workout" either. Not in the true sense of word, at least not in my mind.


Someday soon, in a not so distant resolution, I will expect myself to actually workout. To set aside time in each day to do something healthy for myself--something healthy that doesn't also serve another purpose (a clean house or a driveway I can get my car over). I know there will soon come a time when I set aside time in my week to only work on strengthening my core or to simply improve my VO2 max. Until then, I'll just keep taking steps in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment